Millions of Americans undergo plastic surgery each year for various reasons. When a person does have plastic surgery, they trust the surgeons and medical team to do their jobs correctly. A patient should never have to worry about a mistake being made. At Soloff & Zervanos, P.C., our Philadelphia plastic surgery malpractice attorneys are ready to get to work on your behalf. We will investigate what happened so we can secure the compensation you deserve.
The reality behind plastic surgery
When many people think of plastic surgery, they typically think of the cosmetic type. However, we want to point out that plastic surgery is typically done for two main reasons:
- Elective procedures a person chooses to undergo in order to alter or improve their appearance. This can include things like liposuction, breast augmentation, nose reshaping, facelifts, etc.
- Many people need to undergo plastic surgery to restore normal appearance due to a birth defect or after a traumatic accident. This can include natural birth malformations, dog bite repairs, breast reconstruction after cancer, hernia repair, facial reconstruction, etc.
Whether the plastic surgery a person is undergoing is elective or medically necessary, they should still be able to count on a high standard of care from the surgeon and the entire surgical team.
Medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the US. We know that there are more than 20 million plastic surgeries performed in the country every year. This includes:
- 1 million cosmetic procedures
- 8 million reconstructive procedures
Surgeries are the most invasive procedures a person can undergo. In some cases, a patient experiencing a “never event,” which means something happens during surgery that absolutely should never have occurred. This can include operating on the wrong person, the wrong body part, the wrong patient, leaving a foreign object inside of someone, and more. There are more than 4,000 preventable errors reported each year that occur in surgeries. However, there are also more “minor” injuries that do not have mandatory reporting requirements that can significantly injure a patient.
The most common plastic surgery mistakes often lead to severe patient scarring, infections, deep vein thrombosis, nerve damage, organ damage, heavy blood loss, and more. In many cases, elective plastic surgeries are performed at surgical centers that are not fully equipped to handle major medical emergencies that may arise.
Let us get to work on this today
If you or someone you care about has been the victim of a medical mistake during plastic surgery, you need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. The qualified and experienced team at Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is ready to step in and help you get the compensation you deserve. We will investigate all aspects of your case and work to secure the following:
- Coverage of all medical expenses related to the mistake
- Coverage for future medical expenses
- Recovery of lost income if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering/loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages against the responsible parties
When you need a Philadelphia plastic surgery malpractice attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 866-597-8572.