Anyone driving near larger trucks on the roadway needs to be particularly careful to avoid driving in a truck’s blind spots. Truck accidents can lead to serious injuries that cause lifelong disabilities for victims. At Soloff & Zervanos, P.C., we are here to help if you or a loved one need a Philadelphia truck accident attorney. A blind spot accident is often the result of a truck driver’s negligence, and you may be entitled to compensation.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) says that a fully-loaded commercial truck can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. Considering the average passenger vehicle weighs just 4,000 pounds, you can see why a blind spot accident can be so devastating.
What are the blind spots on a large truck?
When you are driving around large commercial trucks, you need to know that they have blind spots on all four sides of the vehicle. These spots are commonly referred to as “No Zone” locations and include:
- The areas along both sides of the truck (the right-side blind spot is larger than the left side)
- Right behind the truck
- Right in front of the truck
How can you avoid a truck’s blind spots?
When you are driving near a large truck, you can avoid the blind spots by adhering to the following:
- Staying away from the sides of the truck unless you have a clear path to pass it. When you do pass a truck, make sure the truck driver has not signaled that they are about to change lanes.
- Watch out for a truck’s blind spots and brake lights so you know when a truck is about to slow down or change lanes.
- Be patient around large trucks. They are not usually going to travel as fast as other vehicles on the roadway, especially on city roads. Remember that these trucks cannot maneuver as easily as other vehicles. Give them time to turn, slow down, and speed up.
- Make sure you are visible in the truck’s mirrors. If you cannot see the truck driver in their mirrors, they cannot see you.
Accidents from truck accidents can be severe. The FMCSA says that there were around 148,000 people injured and 4,716 killed in truck accidents during the latest reporting year in the US.
Let us get to work on your case today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a blind spot truck accident, you may need to consider seeking legal assistance. The team at Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is ready to get to work investigating what happened so we can secure any compensation you are entitled to. This can include:
- Coverage of medical expenses related to the crash
- Recovery of lost wages if you are unable to work
- Coverage of physical therapy
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the truck driver or company
If you need a Philadelphia blind spot truck accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 866-597-8572.