When you go to work, you should never have to worry about being sexually abused or harassed. However, we know that New Jersey workplace sexual assault is much more common than we once thought.
The team at Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. takes these allegations seriously and wants to help. The era of the “Me Too” movement has helped us understand that victims can get justice and compensation for what has happened to them. If you need a Jersey City sexual abuse attorney, call us today.
We Cannot Ignore This
Sexual abuse is a major problem in this country. Even though we know this, it seems like we are having a hard time breaking the workplace cultures that continue to tolerate this behavior.
But is this problem as bad as people say it is?
We would argue that it is worse. When we look at the stats from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, we see that one in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lifetime.
Now consider the following:
- One study showed that 38% of all women had experienced some form of sexual assault in the workplace.
We know that workplace sexual assault and abuse can include the following types of behavior:
- Any unwanted sexual contact
- Instances of rape or instances or forced sex acts
- Inappropriate touching, especially around the genitals and/or breasts
- Threats or intimidation pertaining to sex
- Instances of a person exposing themselves
- Unwelcome comments
Most people in the country are willing to acknowledge that workplace sexual abuse occurs – unless you ask them about their particular workplace.
- 81% of people believe that sexual harassment goes on in most workplaces throughout the country.
- 90% of people say that workplace sexual harassment is not a problem in their workplace.
Those numbers do not add up and show that people are turning a blind eye to what is going on under their noses.
Workplace sexual abuse can have devastating effects on its victims. Not only does it create immediate emotional trauma and a hostile work environment, but victims usually experience a lifetime of psychological trauma.
Please understand that workplace sexual abuse can happen to both women and men and between peers and supervisors. In many of the cases we handle, the abuse has been covered up by multiple people within an organization.
It Is Time To Seek Justice
You have a voice, and we want you to know that. If you have been sexually abused in the workplace, we want you to call us today. The qualified and experienced team at Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. will get to work investigating your case so we can secure the compensation you deserve. This can include the following:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Compensation for counseling
- Punitive damages against the perpetrator(s)
- The person who abused you
- The company or organization you work for
- Anyone (coworkers/supervisors) who covered up the abuse