There is nothing that will erase the trauma of being sexually assaulted. Over time, you will learn to cope with what happened and we realize that no amount of money will ever take away the pain. However, by filing a civil suit against the perpetrator and other responsible parties, you can help pay for some of the losses you have suffered from.
Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is ready to step in and be your advocate. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will work diligently to secure the compensation you deserve when you need a New York City sexual assault attorney.
What Are The Statistics?
Sexual assault in the US happens at staggering rates. The National Sexual Violence Resource Center says that:
- One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped during their lifetime.
- One in three women and one in six men experience some form of contact sexual violence.
- 51.1% of female victims are raped by an intimate partner and 40.8% by an acquaintance.
- 91% of victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and 9% are male.
- In eight of 10 cases of rape, the victim knows the perpetrator.
- Eight percent of rapes happen at work.
We know those are hard statistics to take in, but that is the reality that so many people live through each day. The pain and suffering that victims of sexual assault go through are immense and the effects are long-lasting.
Sexual assault takes many different forms can include:
- Any unwanted or forced sexual act performed on someone or in which someone was forced to perform.
- Any unwanted sexual touching.
- Exposure to or being forced to watch sex acts or pornography.
- Someone exposing themselves to you.
- Sexual harassment, including making inappropriate sexual comments.
What Are The Costs?
There are different kinds of costs associated with the effects of a rape or sexual assault. In a physical assault, there will be immediate medical costs to consider. These costs can be considerable. Many victims of sexual assault report long-term emotional and psychological damages.
- 81% of women and 35% of men report short- and long-term impacts such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Many victims need continual counseling.
Studies and surveys also indicate survivors of sexual assault often face certain life challenges at higher rates than non-victims. For example, rates of substance abuse tend to be quite high among sexual assault victims. This may lead to health problems and related issues.
Attempting to move on from a very traumatic experience like sexual assault can also interfere with a victim’s professional or academic life. It’s not uncommon for victims to fall behind in school or for their work performance to suffer after an assault.
Unfortunately, these effects can also influence a sexual assault survivor’s personal life. Surveys of sexual assault victims reveal they frequently struggle with difficulties in their friendships and romantic relationships. It is sometimes particularly challenging for survivors to maintain intimate relationships with romantic and sexual partners.
Help is Available to New York City Sexual Assault Victims
None of the above information is meant to suggest that a person who has been the victim of sexual assault is doomed to endure the consequences of this traumatic event for the remainder of their life. There are many resources available to victims of sexual assault in New York City that can help survivors move on with a sense of positivity and optimism.
However, you may not know what these resources are or how to take advantage of them. We can help if so.
The primary reason to enlist the help of a New York City sexual assault law firm is to ensure professionals are advocating for you and pursuing the compensation you deserve. That said, our compassionate legal professionals can also assist you by providing access to counseling services, support groups, and other resources that have the potential to play a valuable role in your recovery.
NYC Sexual Assault Cases: Common Perpetrators
Although virtually anyone can commit sexual assault, it is not uncommon for adult victims of sexual assault and rape to have some sort of personal or professional relationship with those who assault them. Common perpetrators of sexual assault include:
- Dates or romantic partners
- Doctors and other medical professionals
- Teachers and professors
- Friends, relatives, and acquaintances
How a New York City Sexual Assault Attorney Helps
Again, no one can undo what has already happened to you. Still, our New York City sexual assault lawyers can at least help you see that justice is served.
Specifically, we are prepared to:
- Investigate your case to gather evidence showing you were assaulted or raped
- Coordinate with doctors and other such professionals to document the physical and emotional toll your experience had on you
- Determine how much compensation you may be eligible to recover
- File a claim or lawsuit on your behalf
Whenever possible, we will address all tasks and details involved in your case, while still being available to answer your questions at any time.
We understand that pursuing the compensation you are owed after being sexually assaulted can be a stressful prospect. We will therefore strive to make this experience as comfortable for you as possible while still aggressively fighting for what you deserve.
Please Seek Assistance Today
How do you begin the process of healing?
By ensuring that justice is served and that you get the compensation you deserve for everything you have been through, including your past, present, and future expenses that could arise related to the assault.
Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is going to be by your side, working to secure:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Lost wages and benefits if applicable
- Compensation for needed counseling
- Punitive damages against those responsible
In many cases, sexual assault occurs because of negligent security or negligent hiring practice. You may be eligible to seek damages from other parties in these instances.
When you need a New York sexual assault attorney, please contact us by clicking here or calling us at 215-929-7216. You deserve justice and we are here to ensure you get it.