Check out 'The Soloff & Zervanos Show' Podcast on WWDB Talk 860 - Click Here!

What to Do If You Suspect a Loved One is the Victim of Nursing Home Abuse in Pennsylvania

Posted in Nursing Home Neglect on Tuesday, December 6, 2022.

You place a loved one in a nursing home with the best of intentions. When an aging loved one is no longer able to tend to their own needs, it’s understandable and natural that you might wish to entrust professionals with their care.

Unfortunately, sometimes nursing home staff members neglect or abuse residents. Perhaps you’re worried your loved one has been the victim of such abuse.

Nursing home abuse is a serious issue that affects many older adults in the United States, including in Pennsylvania. If you suspect that a loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse, it is important to take swift action to protect their well-being and seek legal assistance. Here are some steps you can take if you suspect nursing home abuse:

Document the abuse

If you witness or have reason to believe that your loved one is being abused, it is important to document the abuse as thoroughly as possible. This might include taking photos or videos of any injuries, writing down the date, time, and location of the abuse, and keeping a record of any conversations you have with staff or other witnesses. This documentation can be valuable evidence in any legal proceedings.

Report the abuse

If you believe that your loved one is in immediate danger, call 911 or your local police department. If the abuse is not an emergency, you can report it to the Pennsylvania Department of Aging by calling their toll-free hotline at 1-800-490-8505.

Seek medical attention

If your loved one has been injured as a result of nursing home abuse, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. In addition to addressing any physical injuries, a medical evaluation can also help to identify any underlying health issues that may have contributed to the abuse.

Additionally, you may decide to take legal action if your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse. When doing so, you’ll need to provide evidence showing that abuse occurred.

Such evidence may take the form of medical records. If you seek medical care for your loved one sooner rather than later, you can establish a link between the abuse they experienced and any injuries that may have resulted from said abuse.

Consider moving your loved one to a new facility

If you feel that your loved one is not safe in their current nursing home, it may be necessary to move them to a new facility. Research different options and choose a facility that has a good reputation for care and safety.

Additionally, you should be aware that you can hold the nursing home accountable for wrongdoing by filing a claim or lawsuit on behalf of your loved one. Taking such legal action may also be a means of pursuing the compensation they deserve.

For more information, review your case with a Philadelphia nursing home abuse attorney at Soloff & Zervanos. We’ll explain your options and offer the representation your loved one deserves if you have a valid case. Get started today by contacting us online or calling us at 215-732-2260.