Check out 'The Soloff & Zervanos Show' Podcast on WWDB Talk 860 - Click Here!

What If You Are Struck By An Out-Of-State Driver?

Posted in Car Accidents on Monday, August 31, 2020.

Car accidents are often more than just an inconvenience. These incidents can lead to significant property damage and injuries for victims. Most people understand that car accident will be resolved through settlements with insurance carriers, but what happens if you are struck by an out-of-state driver? Many states have insurance requirements that differ from the requirements in Pennsylvania. Here, we want to discuss what happens if you are struck by an out-of-state driver and whether or not you need to seek legal assistance for your case.

The at-fault driver was from out-of-state

What will you do if you get into an accident that was caused by another state driver?

The brief answer to that is – do nothing different from what you would do in any other accident situation. The good news is that, so long as the other driver is legally insured in their state, then they will be insured when they are operating their vehicle in Pennsylvania.

Every state is responsible for setting minimum insurance requirements for automobile coverage. Not every state has the same minimum, and not every state even has the same laws regarding insurance after a crash. For instance, Pennsylvania uses both fault-based and no-fault insurance laws. Essentially, this gives Commonwealth citizens the right to choose what type of insurance policy they want to have. Some drivers choose no-fault insurance policies in which they will turn to their own insurance carrier for coverage regardless of which party causes the crash. Other drivers in Pennsylvania use a traditional fault-based insurance policy in which the at-fault driver will pay for the expenses.

When a driver from out-of-state comes into Pennsylvania, their insurance will essentially match required Pennsylvania insurance coverage. For example, if a driver comes from a state with lower minimums than what is required in Pennsylvania, their insurance will automatically adjust upwards to the Pennsylvania minimums.

Most car accident cases are resolved through settlements with insurance carriers. After you are involved in an accident with a driver from out-of-state, you need to:

  • Seek medical attention immediately
  • Call 911 to ensure police arrive on the scene
  • Report the incident to your insurance carrier as soon as possible
  • Continue all follow up medical care
  • Contact an attorney for a free consultation of your case

We offer a free consultation for your case

If you or somebody you love has been involved in a vehicle accident caused by an out-of-state driver, you should speak to an attorney about your case immediately. At Soloff & Zervanos, P.C., we pledge to conduct a full investigation into your case so we can secure any compensation you are entitled to. This can include coverage of your:

  • Medical expenses related to the car accident
  • Lost wages if you are unable to work
  • Household out-of-pocket expenses you incur
  • Pain and suffering and a loss of enjoyment of life damages

When you need a Philadelphia car accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 866-597-8572.